This post may contain affiliate links, view our disclosure policy.
Look no further for the ultimate 3-day itinerary for planning a Napa Valley girls’ trip!
Beautiful vineyards, Michelin-star restaurants, trendy shopping, and transforming spas – what else could you need on a girl’s trip?
The Napa Valley offers a unique getaway in that its world-class wine experiences take place in natural surroundings paired with the perfect combination of casual and chic.
In this post, you’ll find a complete 3-day Napa Valley itinerary including top wineries, tasting experiences, and restaurant recommendations that are perfect for a girls’ trip!
We also include a list of our favorite spas, boutiques, and other exciting Napa travel experiences to best appreciate wine country.
Why visit Napa Valley?
Napa Valley is one of the world’s premier wine destinations and is comprised of the towns of Napa, Calistoga, St. Helena, and Yountville, California.
Most famous for its signature grape, Cabernet Sauvignon, the biggest draw to Napa Valley is its 400 wineries and 90 tasting rooms that feature dozens of wine varieties.
Conveniently located just an hour from San Francisco, Napa Valley is the perfect place for a girls’ trip because of its social wine tastings, beautiful countryside, and pleasant weather year-round.
In addition, Napa Valley is home to more than 150 restaurants, as well as beautiful hotels, resorts, and boutique inns.
Looking for more helpful Napa Valley planning tips? Come back and check out our other helpful posts!
When to visit Napa Valley
Though Napa Valley is a year-round destination, the most popular time to visit Napa Valley is during the grape harvest season of August-October.
This is when you’ll find grape stomps, harvest dinners, and harvest parties being held.
Along with harvest season drawing peak crowds, you’ll also find higher prices on just about everything, including accommodations, however.
March-May is another popular time to visit Napa Valley as the region is in full bloom and the heavy crowds have yet to arrive.
In the winter months of December-February, prices are affordable and there are a lot fewer crowds, but temperatures are chilly with highs in the mid-50s – and low mid-30s.
Learn about what to wear in Napa Valley when visiting during any season, here!
My first visit to Napa Valley was during the first week of November. I found this to be a wonderful time to visit as fall colors were prevalent and crowds were minimal. In addition, overhead heaters are always available on outdoor patios, so the atmosphere was cozy and it never felt too cold.
Napa Valley Girls’ Trip: Where we stayed
Located in the middle of the charming town of Yountville, Vintage House is a boutique hotel with an elegant, modern farmhouse feel and bungalow-style accommodations.
It is located steps away from several tasting rooms, boutique shops, and Michelin-rated restaurants, The French Laundry and Bouchon Bistro.
We loved it there!
Napa Valley Girls’ Trip: How to get around
As mentioned, Napa Valley is made up of a collection of towns, not just one single place.
Together, the entire Napa Valley is 30 miles long and 5 miles wide.
Because of its size, Napa Valley is not considered to be a ‘walkable destination’ and some form of transportation is needed in order to experience the area.
In addition, having a designated (sober) driver is necessary if you’ll be drinking wine – so many people explore alternatives to personal transportation.
Options for transportation around Napa Valley include:
- Renting a car (someone in your group being a designated driver)
- Hiring a private driver – this is very common here
- Taking a guided your
- Riding the vintage Napa Valley Wine Train
- Rideshare companies such as Uber or Lyft
- Renting bikes and biking to the wineries
Napa Valley Girl’s Trip Itinerary
Here’s our ultimate 3-day Napa itinerary that can be customized with the restaurants, wineries, and activities of your choice.
Each of our day’s itineraries is followed by an overview of additional options for wineries, restaurants, and things to do in Napa besides wine tasting.
Day 1: Napa Girls’ Trip
- Spend the day in Napa and the Silverado Trail
- Breakfast at Monday Bakery (Napa location)
- 8 AM Spa treatment at Spa Terra (located inside an underground Estate Cave)
- 10 AM tasting reservation at Domaine Carneros
- Lunch at Oxbow Public Market (optional)
- Explore the Silverado Trail
- 1:00 PM tasting reservation at Duckhorn Vineyards
- Pre-dinner drinks at Sky & Vine Rooftop Bar
- Then, walk over to Oenotri for seasonally fresh-made pasta and artisanal pizzas
Be sure to research the wineries you want to visit and make reservations in advance as all wineries require reservations for tastings and tours.
You’ll also want to make restaurant reservations in advance.
Try a local cafe
Start your trip off right by fueling up for a day of exploration.
Napa Valley is filled with adorable local cafes and bakeries where you can have a quick bite to eat.
Enjoy a cappuccino and croissant on a sunny patio near your accommodations, or grab an Americano to go and grab some fresh fruit from a market or farm stand.
Cute cafes in and around Napa include:
- Monday Bakery (Downtown Napa) – 1412 2nd St
- Hudson Greens and Goods (Downtown Napa) – 610 First Street, Oxbow Public Market
- Model Bakery (Downtown Napa & St. Helena ) – 644 1st St, or 1357 Main St
- Naysayer Coffee Roasters (City of Napa) – 1813 Old Sonoma Rd
- Oakville Grocery (Oakville) – 7856 St Helena Hwy
Begin at the spa
Before your busy day of exploration and tastings, unwind at one of Napa Valley’s wonderful spas.
A relaxing massage is the perfect addition to your Napa Valley girls’ trip!
Napa Valley spas we recommend:
- Spa Terra – 875 Bordeaux Way, Napa
- Halehouse Spa at Stanly Ranch – 200 Stanly Crossroad, Napa
- The Spa at Meadowood Napa Valley – 900 Meadowood Ln, St Helena
- Spa Talisa at Four Seasons – 400 Silverado Trail N, Calistoga
- Dr. Wilkinson’s Backyard Resort & Mineral Springs – 1507 Lincoln Ave, Calistoga
Go wine tasting at Domaine Carneros
We all know that you’re here for the wine!
For your first wine tasting, we suggest Domaine Carneros for sparkling wine and pinot noir.
The winery is located in a stunning château with an outdoor terrace overlooking the rolling hills of Carneros.
The combination of scenery and delicious wine is what Napa Valley is all about.
Additional planning tip: Tasting reservations are required and available between 10:00 am and 5:00 pm.
Lunch at Oxbow Public Market
Once you’ve worked up an appetite at Domaine Carneros, head to downtown Napa to explore Oxbow Public Market and grab some lunch.
This market is a Napa staple, with global food offerings, fresh produce, and even more wine!
There are so many different options for lunch here, so everyone in your group can find their ideal meal.
Tasty options at Oxbow Public Market:
- Hog Island Oyster Co. – Fresh oyster bar.
- C Casa – Mexican eats and cocktails (my personal favorite)
- Oxbow Cheese & Wine Merchant – A wide variety of cheese and wine.
- Model Bakery – Pastries, sandwiches, THE BEST English muffins, and more.
- Ritual Coffee – Coffee, salads, sandwiches, and bakery items.
Explore the Silverado Trail (or take a tour!)
Time to do more tasting on your Napa Valley girls’ trip!
One of the best ways to begin exploring Napa Valley is to take a drive along Silverado Trail.
It has the best views of the vineyards and several wineries for you to stop along the way!
If you plan on taking part in a few tastings and do not have a designated (sober) driver, we recommend taking a tour like the Napa Valley wine train for safe travels.
Amazing wineries on the Silverado Trail include:
- Duckhorn Vineyards – 1000 Lodi Ln, St. Helena
- Rutherford Hill Winery – 200 Rutherford Hill Road, Rutherford
- Joseph Phelps Vineyard – 200 Taplin Road, St. Helena
- Chimney Rock Winery – 5350 Silverado Trail, Napa
- Stags Leap Wine Cellars – 5766 Silverado Trail, Napa
- Pine Ridge Vineyards – 5901 Silverado Trail, Napa
End your day with dinner and the waterfront
Napa is well-known for its varied and delicious eateries.
Enjoy steak and seafood at PRESS (located in St. Helena), Italian food at Oenotri, or French food at Angele, located on the Napa Riverfront.
Napa’s Riverfront is complete with shops, sparkling lights, and wine bars.
Enjoy a final glass of wine or simply take in the beautiful night.
Day 2: Napa Girls’ Trip
- Spend the day in St. Helena and Calistoga (the northern part of Napa Valley)
- Breakfast at Model Bakery in St. Helena
- 10 AM tasting reservation Castello di Amorosa
- Check out the Old Faithful Geyser of California in Calistoga
- Consider bypassing a spa treatment on Day 1 and booking a spa treatment and hot spring/mineral pool session in Calistoga (see more below) – OR –
- Rent bikes and explore Calistoga’s wineries
- 7 PM dinner reservations at PRESS in St. Helena
Visit Castello di Amorosa in St. Helena
On your 45-minute drive from Napa to Calistoga, be sure to stop in St. Helena – home to the incredible medieval-style castle winery, Castello di Amorosa.
Book a guided tour and wine tasting in this unique setting.
St Helena is always a fun town to explore, filled with art galleries and fun shops.
Jaunt through the streets and purchase some souvenirs from the local artisans.
Other great wineries in St. Helena include:
- Charles Krug – 2800 Main St, St. Helena
- V.Sattui – 1111 White Ln, St. Helena
- Beringer Vineyards – 2000 Main St, St. Helena
- Del Dotto Estate – 1445 St. Helena Highway S., St. Helena
Spend the day in Calistoga
Calistoga, California is known for its hot springs, mud baths, and mineral pools and is the perfect addition to your Napa Valley girls’ trip!
Explore the town, visit the Old Faithful Geyser of California, and plan a relaxing dip in a hot spring or mineral pool.
(Take note that Calistoga’s many hot springs and mineral pools do require that you’ve also either booked a spa treatment or are an overnight guest in order to use a resort’s pools.)
For this reason, we did not get to experience this, but I would make plans to go to a hot spring or mineral pool next time.
Additional planning tip: If you’re not renting a car, a typical Uber from Napa to Calistoga is between $40-$50.
Bike ride and picnic lunch
To take on the Calistoga vineyards, we suggest renting bikes from Calistoga Bikeshop as the views are best seen at your own pace.
Stop by a winery and share a bottle of cabernet sauvignon and a picnic in the vineyard.
Consider booking the self-guided Cool Wine Tour through the Bikeshop, where they’ll book the tastings and customize a route for you!
Calistoga wineries include:
- Chateau Montelena Winery – 1429 Tubbs Lane, Calistoga
- Clos Pegase Winery & Tasting Room – 1060 Dunaweal Ln, Calistoga
- Tank Garage Winery – 1020 Foothill Blvd, Calistoga
- Frank Family Vineyards – 1091 Larkmead Ln, Calistoga
- Girard Winery Calistoga – 1077 Dunaweal Ln, Calistoga
- Brian Arden Wines – 331 Silverado Trail N, Calistoga
- Tamber Bey Vineyards – 1251 Tubbs Ln, Calistoga
Day 3: Napa Valley Girls’ Trip
- Spend the day in and around Yountville
- Take a morning hot air balloon ride (expensive, but worth it)
- 11 AM brunch reservations at RH Yountville
- Go shopping and/or to the tasting rooms of your choice
- Hit the pool
- 7 PM dinner reservations at The French Laundry
Take a hot air balloon ride
Early risers will adore a magical hot air balloon ride over the Napa Valley vineyards.
Napa Valley Aloft offers hot air balloon rides taking off from Yountville and North Napa Valley.
You can even add champagne and a post-flight breakfast to your package.
This is the absolute best vantage point to see the beauty of Napa Valley in its entirety.
After an early balloon ride in Yountville, enjoy brunch at RH Yountville!
You’ll love the ambiance at RH Yountville which is complete with gorgeous chandeliers, trickling fountains, and heritage olive trees.
Other popular brunch spots in Napa Valley include Long Meadow Ranch (St. Helena), Boon Fly Cafe (Napa), and Grace’s Table (Napa).
This is the perfect time to plot the rest of your day, filling in any last activities you’ve been dying to try!
Spend the afternoon in Yountville
Your girl’s weekend is coming to an end, but there’s still time to fit in some more fun!
Wander the streets of Yountville in search of boutique shopping, quaint tasting rooms, and sweet treats (pick up chocolates to-go at Kollar Chocolates!).
Check out Priest Ranch tasting room, Handwritten Wines, and Jessup Cellars tasting room, which are all within walking distance of one another.
Take a break from wining and dining and ride the free Yountville Trolley to the Napa Valley Museum – or simply spend the rest of the afternoon at your hotel pool.
Try one of Napa’s Michelin-star restaurants
A girl’s trip to wine country just wouldn’t be complete without pairing a Michelin-star meal with the finest Napa Valley wine.
Tonight, pull out all the stops with a fine-dining experience at one of Napa’s most popular Michelin-star restaurants, The French Laundry.
The French Laundry has indoor and outdoor seating (reservations required) and offers both a Chef’s Tasting Menu and a separate Tasting of Vegetables menu that varies by the day.
The French Laundry has a “culinary gardener” on staff whose job is to tend to the 3.5-acre garden across the street from the restaurant.
The garden serves as their main source of produce for the restaurant, and the gardener and chefs always collaborate before harvesting for each evening’s meal.
Other Michelin-starred restaurants in California wine country:
- Auberge du Soleil (Rutherford) – Californian cuisine with mountain and vineyard views.
- La Toque (Central Napa) – Contemporary with a full vegetarian tasting menu.
- Single Thread (Healdsburg) – Seasonal, contemporary menu with farm-grown produce.
- Kenzo (Napa) – Japanese with an incredible sake variety and minimal, 25-seat dining room.
Additional planning tip: All fine-dining experiences should be booked well in advance.
Napa Valley Girl’s Trip: Conclusion
We hope you’ve found this 3-day Napa Valley itinerary helpful in planning your Napa Valley girls’ trip!
With the scrumptious eats, delicious wine, and breathtaking views that Napa Valley has to offer, I just know you’re going to have an amazing trip!