Are you looking for a list of the best restaurants in Whitefish, Montana for breakfast, lunch, and dinner?
Despite that Whitefish is a small town in the middle of rural Montana, there is no shortage of amazing places to eat in Whitefish.
Your final selection will come down to the availability of a table, or your individual cravings on the day of your visit.
Either way, here is a complete breakdown of the best restaurants in Whitefish, as well as suggestions for ordering their most popular dishes and desserts!
This post may contain affiliate links, which means that we may receive a small commission, at no cost to you, if you make a purchase through a link. For more info, see disclosure.
Best Restaurants in Whitefish, Montana
Committed to supporting the community, most restaurants in Whitefish feature fresh, local ingredients for almost everything on their menu.
In Whitefish, you can find American, Italian, French, Mexican, and Japanese cuisine, as well as several brewpubs and bars & grills.
Whether you’re looking for takeout, delivery, or dine-in, Whitefish has so many great options that you’ll need several days to even begin to try them all.
Additional planning tip: There’s a good chance that if you’re staying or dining in Whitefish, that you’re probably paying a visit to Glacier National Park.
If so, we’d love for you to check out our full Glacier National Park itinerary that includes all of the best sights and family-friendly hikes!
Best Places to Eat Breakfast in Whitefish, MT
1. Loula’s Cafe
As one of the best things to do in Whitefish, you absolutely must start out your day at Loula’s Cafe!
This sweet cafe is housed in the basement of a historic building in downtown Whitefish and going there feels just like ‘home’.
Along with their simple, yet amazing menu, you’ll find that their prices are totally reasonable, and that service comes with a smile.
Serving up breakfast (think giant plate-sized pancakes, fluffy french toast, grits, and scrambled eggs), lunch, and amazing pie, LouLa’s is family-owned and operated with an emphasis on “made from scratch” dishes using fresh and local products.
Hint: Try to get to Loula’s for breakfast between 7 AM – 8 AM to avoid a wait to be seated.
Why we love Loula’s Cafe:
- Relaxed, welcoming atmosphere (in a historic building).
- Quick and exceptional service.
- Giant plate-size pancakes and amazing food!
2. Amazing Crepes
Another one of the best restaurants in Whitefish, Montana is Amazing Crepes!
Located in the middle of downtown Whitefish among the cute, local shops, is this small cafe that serves up made-to-order crepes.
Now if you’ve never had a crepe before, it is a very thin pancake that is stuffed and folded with a delicious filling.
Whether you choose something sweet like their Chocolate & Strawberry Crepe, or perhaps something savory, like their Ham, Gruyere & Dijon Crepe, Amazing Crepes has dozens of varieties to please every palate.
Hint: Crepes cost anywhere from $6.50-$13.50 based on the filling.
Why we love Amazing Crepes:
- Fun and unique menu with both sweet and savory options.
- Memorable breakfast experience.
- Casual atmosphere and delicious food.
3. Montana Coffee Traders – Downtown Whitefish
Montana Coffee Traders is a coffee house that makes you want to hang out there for hours!
Along with the amazing smell of freshly brewed coffee and espresso, a cozy atmosphere with a Montana vibe greets you as you walk through the door.
Upon ordering you’ll find that Montana Coffee Traders offers both classic roasts and signature blends, as well as quick and made-from-scratch breakfast items that pair perfectly well with their amazing coffee.
While you wait, be sure to browse the large gift shop that sells jewelry, accessories, and locally made items.
Why we love Montana Coffee Traders:
- Fun, relaxed atmosphere with a Montana vibe (+gift shop!).
- Amazing coffee!
- Quick and affordable breakfast items.
Best Places to Eat Lunch in Whitefish, MT
1. The Buffalo Cafe
Tucked on a side street in downtown Whitefish, The Buffalo Cafe is a popular destination for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
Family-owned and operated since 1979, The Buffalo Cafe mixes old-school, comfort-food items with modern grill food…all in an entirely family-friendly atmosphere.
With menu items ranging from stacks of blueberry pancakes for breakfast to hand-pressed burgers, fish tacos, and wild salmon for lunch and dinner, this is another one of the best restaurants in Whitefish where you will find something for everyone.
Though they don’t take reservations, and it is often very busy here, the amazing food, great service, and affordable prices make it well worth the wait.
Why we love The Buffalo Cafe:
- Casual atmosphere with a Montana vibe.
- Extensive and affordable menu options.
- Good service and great food!
2. The Wich Haus
The Wich Haus is an uber-cute restaurant in Whitefish that is well-known for its gourmet sandwiches.
What was once an old railway home is now a cozy farm-to-table sandwich shop that uses local products in everything that they make.
The Wich Haus is also a micro-bakery that uses and sells homemade bread.
Open for both lunch and dinner, The Wich Haus has both indoor and outdoor dining. We prefer the awesome outdoor seating in the large backyard (that is complete with lawn games!)
Our favorites here include the Smoked Chicken Sandwich, Montana Grain Salad, and their homemade pickle slices!
Why we love The Wich Haus:
- The best sandwiches – fresh, flavorful, unique, and amazing!
- Wonderful, friendly service.
- Outside picnic area with huge trees for shade (+lawn games!).
3. Piggyback BBQ
The smokey BBQ grilled smells of Piggyback BBQ will greet you as soon as you pull into the parking lot!
As the only place for authentic pit BBQ in Whitefish, Piggyback is known for its classic, homecooked style flavors that are achieved by using local Flathead Cherry Wood.
Using local ingredients in almost everything that they prepare, Piggyback BBQ offers an in-house menu, as well as take-out, bulk-to-go, and catering.
It is super casual here, and most guests choose to sit outdoors on the picnic tables located on the front lawn.
Be sure to try their True Grit and Cubano sandwiches, along with Smokey Baked Beans (Mmmmmm!).
Why we love Piggyback BBQ:
- Authentic pit BBQ flavors with tasty menu options.
- Grassy outdoor eating area with umbrella covered picnic tables.
- Extremely causual (which can yield longer wait times for food, however).
4. Second Street Pizza
Let’s face it, sometimes you need a quick walk-up option for a fast lunch – which is why we love Second Street Pizza.
Though Second Street Pizza does indeed offer a few tables for indoor seating, it is most known for its take-out New York-style pizza by the slice.
Their quick and friendly service compliments their amazing pizza, which is why we count Second Street Pizza as one of the best places to eat in Whitefish!
Second Street also offers a small menu of sandwiches, salads, and wings.
Why we love Second Street Pizza:
- ‘Order, pay, and find a place’ to sit dining method.
- Known for their Pizza By the Slice option ($3.50).
- Both take-out and delivery available.
Best Places to Eat Dinner in Whitefish, MT
1. Last Chair Kitchen & Bar
As one of the best restaurants in Whitefish, Montana, it is absolutely necessary that you make a reservation at the Last Chair Kitchen & Bar.
This charming, rustic-chic restaurant is our top pick for a fun and relaxed place to eat dinner in Whitefish!
With a focus on wonderful food and drinks, exceptional service, a warm and welcoming atmosphere, Last Chair also prides itself in serving products from local producers.
Popular menu items here include the “Tot-chos” appetizer, Chair 8 Burger, Steelhead Trout, Bison Ragu, and Pad Thai – as well as a great kids menu.
Be prepared to fall in love with the warm ambiance, twinkling lights, and spectacular wine flights at the Last Chair Kitchen & Bar.
Why we love Last Chair Kitchen & Bar:
- Reservations accepted (strongly recommended).
- Friendly staff and amazing service in a lively atmosphere.
- Creative menu with delicious food.
2. Boat Club
During peak tourist months, wait times at Whitefish restaurants can be extremely long.
After a full day of touring the area or visiting Glacier National Park, sometimes the last thing you and your family will want to do is to wait 45-60 minutes to be seated at a restaurant.
Not only is the Boat Club a bit of a hidden gem in Whitefish (with little to no wait), the food and atmosphere here are absolutely lovely.
(The Boat Club bar and restaurant are located inside of The Lodge at Whitefish Lake. Click here to read our full review of this awesome rustic-chic resort!)
The Boat Club has two sides, one that is home to Boat Club Dining Room (an upscale restaurant where reservations are preferred), and the other side that is home to Boat Club Bar (a more casual bar/grill that has live music and a huge outdoor patio overlooking Whitefish Lake).
There are separate menus for each.
I still dream about the Dirty Martini and Summer Squash Piccata that I enjoyed while watching a perfect sunset over the lake from the Boat Club Bar patio!
Why we love the Boat Club:
- Lesser known = no wait times during peak seasons.
- Huge outdoor patio with amazing views of Whitefish Lake.
- Great food and fantastic cocktails.
3. Montana Tap House
For a true Montana feel, be sure to visit The Montana Tap House!
The Montana Tap House is a large, rustic restaurant that offers excellent food (be sure to try their specialty thin-crust pizza!), and dozens of local beers on tap.
There are several large TVs, arcade games for kids, and a huge outdoor eating area complete with a band stage.
Take note that there are no waiters here. You order your food at a walk-up kitchen window (that they then bring out to you), and your beer at a walk-up area at the bar.
Though the wait for food can be long, there are plenty of great appetizers that they’ll bring out to you ahead of time – beer queso, anyone?
We love the relaxed atmosphere here!
Why we love Montana Tap House:
- Ultra casual, laid back (yet hip!) atmosphere.
- Large indoor and outdoor dining area (+arcade games for kids).
- Amazing pizza and dozens of local beers on tap.
Other Great Places to Eat in Whitefish
- Whitefish Lake Restaurant (Both a fine dining and casual dining option with views of the Whitefish Lake Golf Club.)
- Swift Creek Cafe (Quaint cafe with a small, unique menu and delicious food located in downtown Whitefish.)
- Mackenzie River Pizza Co. (Large pizzaria chain restaurant in downtown Whitefish.)
- Casey’s Whitefish (Popular woodsy-chic restaurant in downtown Whitefish with a rooftop bar.)
- Craggy Range Bar & Grill (Relaxed pub atmosphere with pool tables and classic bar/grill food.)
- Sweet Peaks Ice Cream (Popular, locally made, ice cream – expect a line in the evening hours.)
Best Places to Stay in Whitefish, Montana
Whitefish offers a surprisingly huge selection of unique lodges, inns, hotels, guest ranches, condos, and VRBO & Airbnb vacation rentals to compliment your visit here.
Your final selection will come down to availability and how much you want to spend.
Here are some great selections on places to stay in Whitefish:
- The Lodge at Whitefish Lake: Lakefront location with beach, 2 pools and hot tubs, onsite restaurant and activities
- Grouse Mountain Lodge: Convenient location close to downtown, pool and huge outdoor hot tub, onsite restaurant (Read our review of Grouse Mountain Lodge here.)
- Firebrand Hotel: Located downtonw, trendy, onsite bar and restaurant, rooftop hot tub and patio
- Hampton Inn and Suites Whitefish: Hotel chain amenities, free hot breakfast, saltwater pool
- TownePlace Suites by Marriott Whitefish: Hotel chain amenities, kitchens, free breakfast, outdoor pool, pet-friendly
- Best Western Rocky Mountain Lodge: Hotel chaim amentiies, free hot breakfast, outdoor heated pool and hot tub
If you liked reading about the best restaurants in Whitefish Lake, let us help continue to plan your getaway to Whitefish, Montana and Glacier National Park:
- 11 Best Things to do in Whitefish, Montana
- 7 Reasons to Stay at The Lodge at Whitefish Lake
- Our Full Grouse Mountain Lodge Review
Glacier National Park
- 23 Must-See Stops on Going to the Sun Road
- 3-Day Itinerary for Visiting Glacier National Park With Kids
- Top 10 (No Fail!) Tips for Planning A Family Road Trip
- Family Road Trip Packing List Printable
- Top 16 Tips for Effortless Flying with Kids
- Family Vacation Packing Tips: How to Pack Like A Pro
*Before leaving, be sure to check our Travel Resources Page to find exclusive travel discounts and to book hotels, rental cars, and guided tours.*